Okay, I'm going to start with the other, and it's not really anything good.... don't know why I wrote it like it was!
I got home late from the hospital tonight, about 11:00 pm. As I was approaching the turn onto our street, I noticed very bright lights. As I turned onto opur street it was easy to see that it was a Mobile Command Center. "Huh...." was all that ran through my mind. Must be training, or a news story...... what ever.
I put the kids to bed, fixed my self a snack since I skipped dinner (a whole other topic!) and settled down on the couch to check emails and fb, you know, all the important things in life.
As I scrolled thru fb, I saw an article from a friend who lives here on post. It very clearly explained what was going on in my front yard. Someone high jacked a car, crashed thru the fence, ditched the car, and is hiding out in MY NEIGHBORHOOD.
As if that wasn't enough, I'm alone. And ..... "did I remember to lock this door, or that door, I have only a million in the house. Was that light on when I left?...." I can't seem to stop. I'm not usually a worrier! But I'm tired, and I'm stressed, and, and, and...
I keep peaking out my window to see if they are still there.... they had cold sodas out too..... don't think I wouldn't notice that.... maybe I should walk over and see if they've caught him.... or atleast ruled out MY house as his hiding spot. My back gate is locked.... I think.... I'm too scared to go out and check now though!
*************************************
That was getting nowhere, so onto Logan News! I'm going to work backwards, since I started there already!
I didn't get to leave the hospital until 10:45pm. For some reason, RT decided to ignore my childs need for breathing treatments. And after a bronch- come on! Really? They just loaded up his lungs with all kinds of saline.... gotta get that stuff out! I began asking where they were at 6ish. At TEN someone finally came up. Not even his RT, but whatever! I was about to drive home and get my own stuff to do it.
She had to leave to go back to her floor, so I ended up giving it to him anyway. He sounded very tight, and had a hard time getting anything to move. The jiggling of the vest irritates his PICC, and his arm is very sore. I had his nurse get him some tylenol.
Sometimes I think just know that the people there care enough to give him something, even though it's probably not going to help much, makes him feel better.
Logan ate dinner.... three times tonight. Yes, three. He's taking full advantage of the "all you can eat" rule. All in all he felt very well today. He went up to the regular pediatric floor around 2pm. He just relaxed in his bed, played vidoe games, and ate.
Gavin and Jacey were super stoked to go visit Logan. I packed them a picnic dinner and they ate with him. They had lots of fun. I tried to get a pic, but the battery is dead.... go figure!
PICU
This was the most bestest admit we've ever had! We were asked to show up at 9, wich we did, and were right on time. His doc was sitting at the nurses station finnishing up all the paperwork. His nurse came right in, got him stettled and started his IV. It took two tries, but he was brave. The PICC nurse showed up right on time, as did everyone else...... AMAZING! His sedation meds were pushed at 0945. He was fully awake and done by 1050. WOW! The PICC was the fastest he's ever had. Only about 15 mins from start to finnish, before I realized he had started, he was pulling out the guide wire. Andrew... ANDREW, ANDREW...... have to remember that name!
The bronch was another story, kinda. It was still very successful. They woke Logan between proceedures just to make sure he was doing okay and not too under. He was hilarious and talkitive, the doctor had fun messing with him. Then they knocked him right back out, and got started on the bronch. I have never seen anyone cough SO hard. The reflexiveness of the whole cough process is amazing. After a while though, it just begins to look like torture. They shove it in, he coughs it out, they push back in, squirt in sline, makes him sound like he drowning, he coughs it back out, they push back in and suction.... it was a lengthy process. And since he's not totally out, and able to cough and respond to pain, his arms instinctively try to reach for his mouth. I got to help hold him down, wich meant I was right in the middle of all the action. It was very interesting to have a first hand lesson on lungs, and all the other cool things I saw on the monitor.
Once it was over we propped him up on his side to keep his airway open and just let him cough his heart out. He woke up happy and silly and cheerful like nothing had ever happened. Ahhhh...... brings me relief to know he'll never remember it. I'll never forget it, but that's not the point.
He got to eat lunch, and was visited a few times by his docs, one of them we know from church. It's always nice to have a familiar face around. It brings me comfort.
From start to finnish everyone we've dealt with today has been great. They really do take great care of him there. I feel completely comfortable leaving him there over night....except I wish I were there to avoid the crazy man running through my neighborhood.
I can tell I won't get ANY sleep tonight. I only had 2 and a half hours last night. There's always tomorrow... right?
Monday, March 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment