Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Home VS Hospital

Most people assume that once Logan is sent home from the hospital, that he is all better.

That would be an incorrect assumption.

Most people would also think that, for me, the hard part is over.

Also incorrect.

You see, the truth is that they both suck.

In the hospital, I have to hand over controll. When you are the Mom of a sick child, that is very hard to do. You have a schedual that you've developed over the years that fits your child best. In a hospital all that goes oout the window. Also, it is difficult to juggle other kids when one is in the hospital. Someone always feels left out. Always. With Dustin here, even if he works during the day, it is easier to split time. Alone, it just isn't physically possible. The back and forth is exhausting on everyone, and tired kids are cranky kids, and cranky Mom's aren't patient.

Home. At home I have all the controll. I also carry all the responsibility. The medication schedual is all on me. It's a lot of pressure. I'm still busy, and the kids still have to wait. I actually get less sleep when we do home infusions. I also have to juggle infussions while he is at school, early pick ups, medication forms, making sure meds are delivered on time, IV sites stay dry and clean, and all respiratory treatments.

It's a toss up really. They are both hard in some ways, and better in others.

Last time was a set two week course. This time will be longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment