Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Frustrating Medical Care

I've been sick since.... forever it seems. I tried to get into the doctor last thursday but was told they were booked for the week. I tried to change my doctor the same day but was told I had to go into the tricare office to do that.

Monday I pressed my luck and got an appointment with my civilian doctor. She was also concerned with the pain in the back of my head. She sent me for x rays, and gave me a prescription for cipro and a new pain medicine to try.

I stopped by the pharmacy on post to fill the prescriptions, but they were closed for the holiday. Tuesday Dustin had my car, and the carseat for Jacey in it. So today fever and all I drug myself into the pharmacy in my jammies.

They were able to fill the new pain med, with a two hour wait time. They couldn't fill the antibiotic though. They have it, in stock, right there behind the counter- but wouldn't give it to me. Despite the fact that I have a prescription from a DOCTOR saying I need it. For some reason tricare only allows them to dispense it for one certain illness (she was carefull not to let me know wich illness that is). She also proceeded to tell me that what I have isn't at all worthy of such a strong medication and really I'm not that sick.

Who the heck is she to tell me how sick I am? She said:

"Tricare reserves this antibiotic to treat paitients with infections that are resistant to other antibiotics"

I eagerly raised my hand "OOOHHH OOOHHHH....THAt's ME!" I said.

She didn't go for it.

I get to go back at 4 to pick up my pain meds. Then go drive around in the rain with three kids and try to find a civilian pharmacy only to wait for another few hours there.

Yay me.

Also today- I got a call from the nurse at my doctors office. The MRI authorization they are waiting on still hadn't come through but the one for me to see the ENT had. She gave me a number and told me to call and schedual my appointment.

I called. I called back. I called back again. Fianlly got a person. She said she didn't have my authorization so she couldn't schedual anything.

I called the nurse back. She assured me she sent it there before even calling me.

I called the ENT again. Got put on hold, got a very kind *sigh* from the lady on the other end.

Got disconnected. Called back again. Got put back on hold. Ten minutes later low and behold it turns up.

I go in next Monday.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment