I called the doctor this morning. Here's how it went:
Me: Logan still isn't doing any better. The antibiotics are making his stomach very upset. He is still coughing. A lot.
Dr: We will switch his antibiotic. We got his cultures back. He didn't grow anything impressive.
Me: I'm still a little worried about how low his sat's were. I know they weren't terrible, but they weren't good either.
Dr: Bring him in with you when you come to get the new medicine. We can get another sat and do some PFT's.
Me: See ya in a few!
We ended up going in about 11ish. His sat's were a bit higher, but still not good. His pft's were awful! A normal FEV1 is 100%. Logan's lung function was only at 66% today. Once we saw those numbers we went straight down to xray. The xrays showed he has 1-bronchitis, 2- bronchopneumonia, a 3- a big mucus plug in his lower right base lobe.
Logan was so borderline on an admition it wasn't even funny! The poor Dr went back and forth quite a few times. Our ultimate decission was to let him stay at home, for now. We are doing 4 very agressive vest treatments with albuterol a day, with extra manual percussion on his lower right lobe. He was put on a more specific antibiotic to treat the little bit of bacteria they found in his culture.
The bottom line is his Dr thinks this may be a more viral related infection. As long as he doesn't get any worse, and shows some (even if it's just a little tiny bit)improvement, he can stay at home. It also helped his Dr to see that I'm pretty in tune with how Logan is doing, and we are only 5 minutes from the hospital. He told me to bring him in anytime if I feel he needs his sat's checked between now and his appointment on the 3rd. I don't even have to call if I don't want to.
It's impossible to fit 4 big treatments into a day that he has school, so he will be missing a lot this week. My goal is to at least have him make it for a few half days. That way he won't fall so far behind, and can get some in class instruction on what he needs to be doing. His teachers this year are great and I know they will really work with us on it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment