I guess this is something I'm going to have to get good at given our current lifestyle. It's a hard lesson to learn thoguh.
I still keep in very close contact with a few of my friends. One in Utah and a handfull in California. One has even migrated up this way and is hopefully joining our family for Thanksgiving this year.
It's nights like tonight though that make me realize it's not the same. I can keep up with their everyday life. Facebook has been great for that. I can watch their kids grow, they can watch mine, we share funny stories and long sad talks. Usually by the end of those long sad talks the sad person feels better, and the other is gratefull for the opportunity to still be available to thier friend.
Tonight it wasn't enough. Sometimes nothing heals a sad heart like a hug from a friend. Sometimes sitting on the couch in jammies together is healing medicine. Sometimes knowing you have an escape in a friends home, if even for a few hours is magical.
Tonight I cried for my sad friend. I hope she feels better after our long talk. And right now I want nothing more than to hop on a plane just to go give her a hug.
The tears are because I know I can't.
They are the same tears I cried when I had to see a friends wedding pictures online rather than have been at the wedding. The same tears I cried when I saw my neices look years older than they were the last time I saw them.
These tears are a big price tag that goes with being a military family.
I try to make new friends. That helps some- until I realize on these nights that I'll leave them too. And they will be added to the computer list of friends. I have a lot of the computer friends and not enough of the "come on over" friends.
The friends I have that are still on my list are true friends though, and I wouldn't trade them for the world.
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment