Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fingers Crossed!!

Logan started running a fever today. I spoke with the home health nurse and she said to watch him.

She didn't seem too concerned, figuring it was just viral. He's already on two of the strongest IV antibiotics there are. She also didn't seem too worried about the actual PICC site being infected.

I- however am the Mom, and it is my responsibility to worry. He has no other symptoms than a fever.

How high is it you ask? Great question... I don't know. Haven't been able to unearth the thermometer yet.

It goes away with tylenol but after about 3 hours it resurfaces slowly, bringing with it lots of chills and body aches.

My web MD doctorate certificate doesn't qualify me diagnosing a post surgery child on IV antibiotics through a PICC line.

If I had to make an educated guess I'd say he picked up something viral while at the hospital last friday for his check up. It's the something that has me worried.

What if it's something icky like swine flu??? That would be my luck. His poor little immune system is shot. You'd think all the antibiotics would make him stronger, but I'm not seeing it this time arround. He still seems so weak and frail.

I'd really like to avoid the germ filled doctors office if at all possible. I refuse to go the ER tonight- germ central. For some reason I think they'd re-admit him if I did.

Maing things worse, I feel like we have a new baby in the house. This round the clock infusion schedual has me up at all hours, getting a few hours of fragmented sleep.

Realisticly I know that I need to become familiar with this routine as it will only increase in frequency as Logan gets older and the infections become more severe and more often. Not something I usually choose to think about but when it's 12:30 in the morning and I know I'll be up another hour at least, my mind tends to go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment