Every year without fail I'm amazed at the cost of sending my children to a free public school.
I took only Gavin shopping yesterday. I was thinking that after all the attention Logan has been getting Gavin could use some alone time with Mom. He was super excited to say the least.
I had the list from his school in hand as we headed to Wal-Mart. Afew of the items on the list seemed ridiculous to me.
1- a reem of white copy paper.
ARE YOU SERIOUS? Schools no longer provide the neccessary amount of paper?
2- 4 Boxes of crackers.
What happened to sending you OWN kid to school with a snack every day?
3- 6 (yes SIX) boxes of 24 pencils.
Really? Isn't that a bit excessive for every child to bring 144 pencils to class? Say there are only 20 students in the class.... that's 2,880 PENCILS!!!
4- Hand Sanitizer (and they specifically asked for it to be over so many ounces!)
While I can appreciate a need to cut down on the spread of germs... Are we no longer teaching proper handwashing? That's gross! **getting on my soap box**
Hand sanitizer does NOT CLEAN HANDS! It merely kills the germs that reside there, and only if used properly, wich most children DON'T! All the dirt and grime is still left behind.
The rest of his list was fairly common items.
I also had to buy him two pairs of shoes. It rains here a lot (surprised?) so it's necessary to let shoes dry out so they don't get too stinky. I did great on prices, getting out of the shoe store for $60!
Next week, it's Logan's turn. Logan, who's school has a ban on.... backpacks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That's crazy. Dave thinks I've spent a lot on Kendall's curriculum but sounds like we wouldn't be saving much by sending her to school.
ReplyDeleteNo back-packs? Seriously? What do they use instead??
Lockers! They have to have the "zip closed" kind of binders, and they can have a strap. School keeps getting more and more expensive.
ReplyDeleteThey have a prep school in the district, that's free. I'm seriously considering it. I just don't know how hard it would be for Logan to keep up with as often as he is absent.