I spent the day on the phone. All day! I must have made 30 calls to over 15 numbers. I'm learning so much but it's so frustrating to be told you can not receive care for your child. I'm just not used to it. Referrals were lost, then found, voicemails were left and never returned. I was given the run around all day.
Finally at 4:30 I gave up and decided to head to the ER. Dustin brought home dinner for the kids. Logan ate and then we left. We arrived at the ER at about 5:30. It was packed.
We saw two intern's and a doctor. They took xrays, but no blood work. They didn't even put him on a monitor to watch his sats, I had to! Their conclusion was his xray looked "okay" and while there may be some infection, it was borderline for an actual pnuemonia so they were hesitant to treat him. They wouldn't let me see the x ray and finally agreed to some antibiotics after I explained they needed to do something before it gets worse. The pediatric pulmonologist was called but never called back, so they sent him home on augmentin. Don't think that will be very effective on a kid who's lung infections usually require IV's to treat.
All in all I've decided to give the augmentin tonight and in the morning since it's better than nothing. Then first thing tomorrow I will be on the phone insisting he be seen. There was no excuse for the horrible time I had trying to get him the care he deserves. If I have no luck, then I will apeal Tricare and get him approved to see a civilian pulmonologist. I had thought it might be nice to have his hospital no less than 5 minutes from our house, but not if he can't ever get in.
Logan is feeling.... not horrible. He's very tired. Extremely tired. His little body just seems worn out. He is still in good spirits though. His sats weren't awful, and held steady around 94-95 on room air and not needing any oxygen. Not his typical 99-100 but definately much better than I had expected for as worn out as he seems.
Let's hope that tomorrow goes much smoother than today!

No comments:
Post a Comment