Wednesday, July 29, 2009

hospital update

We arrived to the pediatric unit at about 6:00pm last night. The floor layout reminds me of UCSF, which I like. It could use some updating as it doesn't quite feel like a pediatric unit. Logan's room is big. The curtain rails on the top give away that it once was a double room.

The nurses were nice but not quite as CF educated as I'm used too. I feel fortunate I know as much about the disease as I do. His first nurses got him all checked in and settled, but his night nurse started his IV. That's always the worst part for Logan.

I came prepaired with my own emla cream to numb his hands for the IV. The intern was impressed. The nurse came and got us, took us into the proceedure room, and got right to work. She slipped the IV right in, first try, with not one single tear from Lo. Awesome!

Later that night she got his med's going, and I ran home to gather a few more things.
When I got back the front doors to the hospital were locked and I had to drive all the way arround to the ER and wind my way back through the hospital... not fun!

We settled down and got right to sleep. At 2:00am the nurse came in to draw blood to check his TOBI levels. This one wasn't as easy as the IV and took a couple tries. She did get it though and after she left we drifted back off to sleep.

Now 4:00 am and time for one more blood draw. This one was easy, and Logan was barely awake for it. Again at 6:00am she came in to start more IV meds. He's not on fluids so at least we didn't have a million trips to the bathroom!

At 7:00 am started the parade of interns, residents, student nurses, nurses, respiratory therapists, and so on. I headed home at 10:00 to get Gavin and Jacey dressed and give Dustin a break.

His PICC was supposed to be today, but there wasn't any room on the schedual for him, so they say tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath though.

It's nice nice know that this won't be a marathon of a stay. In a few days he'll be home with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment