I think that pretty much sums it up.
Logan tried out for the swim team today and made it.
I had noticed how quickly he was learning during lessons, and the ease and comfort he was exhibiting was measurable.
Logan didn't want to take swim lessons. Logan is 12 and doesn't "want" to really do anything constructive right now. I told him he was going to take the first month regardless. The following month was aproaching and although he said he didn't want to take them, he always left with a big smile.
So this time I gave him a chance to decline. However he wouldn't be left at home to rot away, he would accompany me to each lesson while the younger kids swam. He chose to swim.
As that month began to wind down, it was easy to see he needed more of a challenge than 30 minutes in a pool twice a week would provide. I began looking into the Fort Lewis Swim Team. I decided it was a perfect next step, as it wasn't very competitive.
The Dolphins however are a real swim team. In order to become a member he needed to try out first. I began talking it up with him. He didn't seem nearly as enthusiastic as I was. I called the coach and spoke with her. I arranged for Logan and I to go observe a practice. He seemed slightly intrested, and I convinced him to give it a try the very next day.
So today, after his 30 minute lesson at one pool, we drove a still wet Logan over to the team pool. I could see the nerves as he still wasn't sure he had what was needed to make the team. He hopped in and gave it his all.
Logan struggled to keep up with the other kids his age, but was strong and confident in the water. He swam laps, with out rest, for 60 minutes with the team. After he played 30 minutes of water polo. By the time he got out of the pool, he still had a smile on his little face.
He never once stopped. He pushed and he pushed even when he was having a difficult time catching his breath. He made it look like it was easy for him. His coach didn't even notice. I mentioned it to her afterwards, that his lungs are compromised. She was impressed. She said not many kids can come in on their first practice and finnish it all. Most need to stop for a breather half way through.
I hope hope hope that Logan is proud of himself. We talked about it the whole way home. I know that this could be so great for him. It's just hard to know when a little push is required to help him develop an already natural talent, and when it's time to back off and let him not participate just because right now it's a little challenging for him.
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I just love that kid soooo much~ all he goes through, he is just the sweetest thing ever. I'm so glad he likes this~ great for his lungs and self esteem.
ReplyDelete"Brown Grandma"